Monday, February 20, 2012

Are there any tips to survive in a dysfunctional family?

My dad I find kind of immature; he left my mom, brother, and I in washington because he disliked the weather and moved to California when I was 2. He tells me he hates me whenever he's mad same and so does my mom. He also has some social problems too so when someone hangs up on him on the phone or he doesn't understand what someone means he thinks they hate him and he'll yell at me. He also makes stupid purchases, in the last two months hes bought a pizza maker, a dog whistle (we dont even have a dog) a movie projector, and a guitar. My mom works most of the time and I understand she gets irritated but getting told that I'm hated and should just run away seems a little extreme to me. Since my family had moved to California to live with my dad when I was 5 I've been taking care of myself; cooking my meals, making sure I get to school on time, and etc. My brother whose like an honor student can't do a damn thing and he's 2 years older. I taught him how to turn on the stove, use the microwave, and so many other things! It annoys me how he wot take the time and learn for himself. He's always rude; when I'm sleeping he usual comes in my room and uses the computer which I would be fine with if he didn't burst out in a random song waking me up. He also uses his keyboard on max volume no matter what time it is. Now me, I'm far from perfect; I make stupid decisions when I'm mad, and I recently got arrested for shoplifting. I probably am a horrible child right now, but they still treat me the same way they did when I was an honor student and when I actually did everything they asked me to do. Now I know I can't do anything to change my parents and no matter how good or bad I am I will still be told hurtful things, I can't move out for another 4 years so what can I do?Are there any tips to survive in a dysfunctional family?
Learn to chill out. I live with an autistic sister. There is nothing in your present contractive world that comes close. As far as the brother...hand him a set of earphones or unplug the speakers. You cannot change your parents...but it sounds like there are communication issues. Ask for more privacy. 4 years goes a lot faster than it did when you were a child. Try to enjoy your teen years while you can. It gets better.Are there any tips to survive in a dysfunctional family?
Just something that crossed my mind, in Bones at the start of Season 5 I think it was when they were all coming back from different places to be the group again, and Bones was talking about how one person is the lynch pin in the group. I think if you are more aware of things and feel like you can help your family become less dysfunction it would be great for you and for your family.

You can be a good example for them, keep your cool, be nice, it only takes one person to change. "Be the change you want to see in the world" - Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment