Thursday, February 23, 2012

Need tips for eating healthier at dinner.?

Ok, I m trying to lose about 20 lbs. I do really well during the day while at work. for breakfast i usually have some special K cereal or a protein shake. Lunch is usually a whole grain turkey sandwich,baked lays and an apple. I drink clsoe to a gallon of water a day. Now Dinner is usually when I mess up, I get so hungry right after work(around 5-6pm) that I just eat whatever as long as it satisfies me. I dont take it to the extreme,like a greasy burger or anything like that, but I do tend to eat something that afterwards I feel guilty about,like pizza or some Tyson breaded chicken nuggets, mashed potatoes...corn.....fried tacos.....ground meat tacos......things like that. Any tips on how I can beat these things and just stick to healthy foods at night like...fish....grilled chicken...veggies....thanks!Need tips for eating healthier at dinner.?
I limit my family to 3 things for dinner. 2 are veggies and one is a lean meat. It keeps the cooking simple for me, and easy and healthy for the family. It's usually grilled chicken or pork, corn and a side salad, couscous...something else. I think making everything from scratch is best...don't add salt to anything....use Mrs. Dash.....get creative. Make cooking a fun experience.....grill EVERYTHING....it's easy and flavorful and doesn't require oils.Need tips for eating healthier at dinner.?
I'll tell you what I do. I keep a number of snacks with me at work that are healthy %26amp; pretty filling. Like nuts, dates, protein bars. Almost anything that is low in simple carbs %26amp; has a high glycemic index. Right before I leave work I will have some of that. If it is practical you can even snack on a bar in the car on the way home. This should be at least half an hour before you get home. When you get home you will be a lot less hungry. This will allow you the time it takes to come up with something healthier to eat.

If you have the place at work to store something like that this might just work. If not you might be able to take something with you every day - but make sure you save it till when you are leaving work.

Initially you may want to still eat a heavier dinner when you get home, not because you are hungry but just because it is a habit and you will have a tough time convincing your mind that you really are not that hungry. When you do adjust to it you should be able to eat less and eat healthier. To make this process easier you might just want to eliminate most of the chicken nuggets, fried tacos, etc. from your freezer. Keep healthier things around like canned soups, carrots, fruits etc. There are times when I get home and I just have a pear or some strawberries for dinner and I am quite fine. I am not sacrificing or anything - I am just not that hungry. It takes a while to mentally accept that you did not eat very much for dinner and you are not going to drop dead, but after a while you will realize that we consume much more nutrition than we really need and are at very little risk of malnutrition. And if you do really need the food your body will tell you anyway.

And one last thing - if there are things you really like I suggest you have them once in a rare while anyway. Like once or twice a week. That way you don't develop a craving because if you do it can eventually undo any good you have achieved. You will see that simply having a balance in your diet and lifestyle is much better than a food jihad. That never really works because no one really has that much will power.

Treat yourself like a normal person and work within those limitations.

No comments:

Post a Comment