Monday, February 20, 2012

I am a vegetarian and I ate meat. Now I feel horrible. Can someone help me?

Please take the time to read this. It's very important! Thanks so much! (:





So, I've been a vegetarian for a little over three years now. But last year I was having some eating troubles. I'll call it an extreme diet lol. I got really carried away with it, and starting cutting a lot of things out of my diet for fear that they had animal products in them, and for fear of weight gain. My mom freaked out and checked me into this eating disorder clinic. I was only there for a week though, and I kinda calmed down with the restrictions.





To clear a few things up, they weren鈥檛 insane restrictions. If you think of like, a diet that a girl does before her wedding or a vacation, you鈥檝e got the picture. I鈥檇 still kill a box of pizza in a heartbeat lol.


And I love my dog, all animals. I don't even squish bugs! lol. I want to be a veterinarian, and spend all my time volunteering with shelters and rescue groups. I just think it's unfair to kill and eat something that doesn't have a choice in the matter. I want to save lives, not take them because I鈥檓 hungry.


But anyways.





But the thing about it is (that really made me want to smack the lady) was that they said the vegetarianism was the eating disorder, and that it had been going on for years. Which ISN'T true. Vegetarianism really didn't have anything to do with my being there, and it was more of a fear of fats and whatnot.


But she still felt that I was using that as an excuse. So she told me when I came it her office and ate a cheeseburger, she'd believe me. I completely flipped on her. I told her that until she goes out in the forest and kills her dinner, that SHE has an eating disorder. Enough said. But after listening to this line of BS that she was trying to feed us, my mom jumped on the bandwagon.





They had this rule where you had no say in what you ate. So for about 3 meals, I had meat in it. She made me eat chicken, spaghetti with turkey (I picked out most of it and tossed it while she was gone) and salmon. I couldn't get out of the fish because she sent it for lunch at the place, and they have a policy where if you don't eat, they call the hospital and cart you out.





My mom made me eat the chicken at home, and they prescribed some pill (can't remember the name) that's supposed to calm me down. And after taking it, I can firmly say that it clouds your judgment after a while. I kind of willingly took it, just because being there was so incredibly stressful. [I would read labels to make sure there weren't any animal ingredients, and they said I wasn't allowed to read what I was eating. So I basically had no idea what I was putting into my mouth, and wasn't allowed to know, which was incredibly stressful.] But I remember wanting to eat the chicken, and that鈥檚 what really has me upset.





And I would鈥檝e thought that out of all people, my mom would understand how I felt, but I already knew that that wasn鈥檛 going to happen. My mom was never okay with me being a vegetarian and didn鈥檛 want me to continue it. She usually doesn鈥檛 buy groceries for me to eat and tells me that if I want something to eat then I need to start eating meat like everyone else. [There鈥檚 still stuff in the house for me though.] Needless to say that I come from a family of barbecuers, so I鈥檓 the odd one in the family.





So, I鈥檓 just really distraught about all of this. It鈥檚 kind of motivated me to work harder to become a vet though. But we鈥檝e moved to Maryland since then, and I feel like I鈥檓 lying/hiding something when people ask me how long I鈥檝e been a vegetarian, and I say three years. And I feel embarrassed telling anyone about it, so I haven鈥檛 told anyone. Some of my friends back home know, but it wouldn鈥檛 do any good to bring it up again.





Oh, and please keep in mind that this was over a year ago. Since then, I have continued my veggie diet. c:





So, any feedback? Is there anything I can do to feel better?





Thanks so much.|||There is nothing wrong with being a vegetarian. I am not a vegetarian but i totally understand not wanting to eat animals. My boyfriends mom is a vegetarian. I love animals too. I only eat chicken, hot dogs, and hamburgers that's it. Well probably because i don't eat anything anymore. I swear all i eat is pasta, cheeseburgers, chicken, hot dogs, and french fries. Its like how i don't like sushi, that's my choice and i don't want to eat it. You don't like meat, and shouldn't be forced to eat it. Being a vegetarian is not even close to having an eating disorder. If anything i would have an eating disorder lol. Them forcing you to eat meat is wrong. We have free will, and we should be aloud to eat what we chose to eat. I know you feel guilty and i understand that. I would feel guilty too, but most of all the people who made you eat meat should feel guilty. Its not like you don't eat anything. You still eat, and they have no right, or reason to make you eat the meat if it bothered you so much. I think you should just try the best to forget about it. It wasn't your fault. Since you continued your vegetarian diet, just think of how many happy animals you are saving:). Always remember it wasn't your fault:). Hope this helps, and i hope you feel better soon!|||Feel better by singing yourself a song.|||It's really not your fault, so don't feel guilty!|||i respect you for what your doing and one piece of meat isnt going to kill u you'll be fine|||Hello





Do not worry about what other people think, you are back on track as a vegetarian and that is the main thing. I wish you all the best with your career as a vet.





Take Care


Spirit World Messages|||My family is just like yours; meat eaters and barbecuers.


My mum didn't approve of me being vegetarian when I used to be one either.





Don't feel guilty for sonething you had no choice in :)


As long as you didn't eat meat since then you have nothing to be ashamed about!





You are a vegetarian, and trust me all vegetarians slip up sometime ;)


In fact you just inspired me to become vegetarian again!


No more meat for me anymore :O|||There's really nothing you can do but move on. **** happens. You ate meat, but the world will still go on. That's okay. They were royal assholes to you and you didn't deserve that treatment. Embrace your vegetarianism. Being forced to eat something you clearly did not want doesn't make you any less a vegetarian.|||i feel so bad for you! :( i completely understand why you feel bad but it really wasn't your fault that you were forced to eat meat. you did everything that you could and i think in your situation, it's okay to just tell people that you were a vegetarian for 3 years because you did everything you could to try and stop it%26lt;3 and i love animals more than anything and wanna be a veterinarian too:)|||A vegan diet isn't an extreme diet unless you make it one...Nevertheless, you were in a really tough spot. I'm sorry you went through that.





I think it's great that you're back to your veggie diet. Take care of yourself, eat filling and healthy foods, and please never, ever starve yourself. Feeling badly won't undo the fact that you ate meat in rehab a year ago, so do your best to let it go and focus on the present.





Also, learn a lesson from it - you don't want to perpetuate the stereotype that all veg*ns have eating disorders, right? So make sure you're always giving your body everything it needs. By doing so, you'll win major victories for both your help, veg*ns and animals. You can't be a vet and help others if you're undernourished and in rehab, after all.|||Wow, I totally feel for you! I can't even imagine how horrible you must feel! Even nightmares about eating meat make me all stressed out until I realize it was just a dream lol!


You shouldn't feel bad, though. Think about it: you are SO dedicated to your diet that it took putting you in a mental hospital, threatening to hold you there until you ate it, and actually drugging you before you would eat meat! That sounds like commitment to me!


I wouldn't worry about how you wanted the chicken. There are times when I see chicken and I really want it, and it doesn't make you a horrible person or anything. We're only human! And you were *forced* to eat it. It's not your fault.


I think it's perfectly fine to say you've been a vegetarian for 3 years. You didn't have a choice in the matter, and as soon as you did, you went back to your vegetarian diet. Don't worry about it, seriously!


I hope this helps, and I hope you're able to move on from this traumatic experience. Best of luck :)|||Im a vegatarian and as you no bye 1 of my questions i had a slight slip up and alothough i didnt no i felt guilty and still do I think that people should respect whatever desision you make and i dont think that it is an eating disorder as im healthy as long as you eat food still you should be fine i have veggi burgers and vegii sosages and allsorts of veggy things that dont contain meat but are simuler and healthy for you you should show your mum this you can buy most things that are vegatarian at most shops If that is what you believe then dont let things stop you as you have your own oppinion :) and thankyou for answering my questiion it made me feel much beter x|||It's really okay to feel guilty,it's expected.


Because you've been one so long that when you suddenly do eat meat and your mind goes crazy.


It's okay,you had to do what you had to do.|||"But last year I was having some eating troubles. I'll call it an extreme diet lol"


What do you mean by extreme diet? Vegan?


Vegetarianism and Veganism are NOT eating disorders - those people are stupid.


"more of a fear of fats and whatnot."


Your body needs fats! There are healthy fats, like avocados.


Picking meats out of foods is not vegetarian - that's cheating.


"(I picked out most of it and tossed it while she was gone)" Even if you picked out the meats you would still more than likely get sick.


"She usually doesn鈥檛 buy groceries for me to" I buy all of my groceries.


Just be honest when or if people ask you. Technically you have re started this diet, so maybe say for three years previously, after a few family issues happened, that you have started again.


Who cares if you are really vegetarian or not? Or for how ever long? It is your choice.


Unless someone is force feeding you, you decide what you eat or don't. Unless it is some situation, that you don't know what is in all the food, or something like that.


Be honest, get over it, those people were idiots!, live your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment