Sunday, January 29, 2012

Is Extreme Picking Eating An Eating Disorder?

As a child up to my current age as a sophomore in High School I have had a severe case of picky eating.



As a kid, my eating schedule went very similarly everyday. I didn't eat breakfast, for lunch i'd have a plain bagel and some goldfish crackers, when I got home I usually ate 2 massive bowls of plain pasta with butter and had ice cream as a desert. I ate pasta everyday because that was the only food I ate. If my parents didn't make me pasta, I simply didn't eat.



It would be easier to list what I DID eat than what I DIDNT, but I never tried chicken fingers until I was 9, pizza when I was 8, steak until 11, spaghetti sauce until 12, etc., etc. I still have never tried many common foods such as ketchup and hamburgers.



Needless to say, my eating habits have improved since my childhood- when I had no existing fat between my rib cage and hip bone so I had many difficulties sleeping because the two bones would grind against each other and it was very painful. I have no desire to lose weight, as in anorexia but still their are some days when I simply dont eat at all because I'm too picky.



I know its awful and you must think I'm as snobby as can be but I'm just wondering if something like this is a classified eating disorder?Is Extreme Picking Eating An Eating Disorder?
No. It is not an eating disorder because you do not have a dysmorphic body image. It is however extremely unhealthy. Your body needs a variety of foods to stay healthy and functioning. You should strive to eat a variety of foods, especially fruits and vegetables (think lots of colours). You should try different foods to see whether or not you like them! Be adventurous, and don't say you don't like a particular food until you have tried it with an open mind. If you continue to not eat, you are putting yourself at a great risk for many ailments, the most severe case may result in a heart attack. The least severe includes your body breaking down bones and muscles to use as a fuel source. Stick with bland foods until you have found others that you like. You should take a multivitamin as well to be certain you are meeting the daily vitamin and mineral requirement, and if you do not drink milk or eat dairy than be sure to take a calcium supplement to prevent osteoporosis.Is Extreme Picking Eating An Eating Disorder?
If you are compromising your health because of your eating habits, then yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment