Sunday, January 29, 2012

Social Anxiety or just a weird, extreme shyness?

-I hate talking to everyone on the phone for more than a couple of minutes (the only exceptions are my boyfriend/ best friend/ close family members). I CANNOT order pizza or call other businesses.



-I'm easily detached from people. I'm perfectly fine with not seeing friends from school all summer.



-I freak out when people invite me places where I know tons of people will be there. Usually I find a way out of going. When I went to places with large groups with my boyfriend, I felt a little better. Now we're in a long distance relationship, so there goes my security blanket.



-I do hang out with people every once in a while, but when I do I still get pretty nervous and quiet.



-I hate presenting projects/speeches. I often forget to inhale while talking. But, I'd have to say that the time leading up to the presentation is worse than the presentation itself.







The things I told you above have happened ever since I was a HS freshman, and now I'll be a senior.Social Anxiety or just a weird, extreme shyness?
You're probably on track with the social anxiety. It's extreme shyness too, but your shyness causes you anxiety in social situations, hence social anxiety.



I had been reading about virtual reality therapy in which people practice going through things that cause them anxiety. Flying on a plane was one example. I don't know where you would find something like this, but I still thought it was a neat idea.



There is medication which relieves social anxiety. It might be worth it if you're having a really difficult time getting anywhere. MAOI's are usually better than antidepressants when it comes to things of this nature. It might give you a base, something for you to work off of.



Another method which I use sometimes, is just go somewhere totally random where nobody knows you and start talking to people. Ask some random stranger a question at a random store, see if you can strike up a conversation. If so, that's great. If not, nothing lost. You'll never meet them again. Take little steps instead of trying to conquer your fear in one day. --Social Anxiety or just a weird, extreme shyness?
Yes that is social anxiety.Social Anxiety or just a weird, extreme shyness?
I want to focus on something that may be helpful. It's something you wrote.



You mentioned that the anticipation of a presentation is when you feel the most anxious; during the presentation, you feel more relaxed.



I'm sorry, I can't diagnose though.



I got the sense that you feel somewhat nervous about yourself. Is this on the money or way off?



I hope this has helped. I would suggest you reach out to others that you provide you with more assistance.



Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment